From:
Rhonda Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:45:35 -0500
Dear Colleagues:

Below is a message circulated by Professor Raphael announcing a public
meeting about the issues at the Hospital for Sick Children.

I am the Vice-President of the University of Toronto Faculty Association
(UTFA), in charge of the Grievance portfolio. Professors Olivieri and
Gallie and two other colleagues were admitted into UTFA membership after
we became aware of the seriousness of their individual situations and the
threats to the integrity of academic freedom and to the Memorandum of
Agreement, our contract with the University of Toronto.

We have filed individual grievances and an Association grievance.
Meetings and other contact with the university administration are taking
place at a rapid pace. We, and the Canadian Association of University
Teachers, see this matter as the most serious threat to academic freedom
in Canada since the 1950's. It is made even more complicated by the
relationship between teaching hospitals and the university.

I am not at liberty at the moment to make detailed statements in public
about the grievances. But since Professor Raphael has brought the meeting
to your attention, I want you to know that grievances have been launched.

If you would like to talk with me, you may reach me at 416-978-4640 or
send me an email at:

Thank you,
Rhonda Love