Sender:
From:
Brenda Stankiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:06:08 -0500
Here in Sudbury, Ontario Canada we met that physical activity challenge by
approaching interested schools with plans for a launch event including a
walk to school breakfast (local "celebrities" flipped pancakes and poured
juice).  Prior to the event information on walking and safety was sent home
with children.  Police taught classes in school regarding safety and
teachers encorporated safety and health information related  to walking into
classrrom activities.  Parents were encouraged to walk to school with their
children to assess the walking route for safety and in many cases
demonstrate to parents how easy and safe it is for their children to walk to
school.  From there parents with time and interest volunteered to walk with
children to school and often picked up other neighourhood children.
We were fortunate to get great local media coverage through the  newspaper,
television and radio.
Let me know if you would like  more information.  Good luck.

Brenda S. Stankiewicz
Sudbury and District Health Unit
1300 Paris Street
Sudbury, On P3E 3A3