From:
DKProj Mgt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:15:55 -0500
Dear Sir/Madam,

The Congress below is an interdisciplinary event combining information
from the health and biomedical sector with information techology and
multimedia. Do you think you could pass it on to members? Please let me
know. Many thanks. Walter Leal Filho

The First International Congress on Telehealth and Multimedia Technologies
August 16-18, 1999, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Congress web site:
http://www.telehealthcongress.com

For more information, please visit our website. You may reach the Congress
Secretariat at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 780-492-4082.

Background Information

This is the first international congress to bring together basic
researchers, health service providers, government departments and
industries which utilize, research and develop telehealth and multimedia
technologies. We are expecting over 1000 delegates from around the world
from all areas of telehealth and multimedia.

In the past, conferences tended to be organized by profession-specific
groups, and there has been little opportunity for cross-professional
integration of knowledge. While this has merit in some professional areas,
it is no longer the case for some health sectors. As healthcare
professionals, we work to help our patients. Technology has become an
integral part of the services that we provide to our patients. Therefore,
it is essential to communicate our technical requirements to our
colleagues who specialize in technical fields. As vendors and developers,
it is essential to work with healthcare professionals in order to
understand the needs of our clients. Collaboration is essential in order
to fully develop the technology and meet the needs of patients, healthcare
professionals, and vendors alike. This congress will be an excellent
opportunity for streamlining the development of telehealth and multimedia
technologies.

The congress will include not only sessions and symposiums, but there will
also be a large trade show featured in the 5100 square metre hall of the
Shaw Conference Centre. There is the opportunity for booths featuring full
multimedia presentations to be created, allowing vendors to effectively
showcase their products. Provisions can be made to accomodate all manners
of media for presentations.

The participants will likely be some of the following:

health care and telehealth providers; health care and telehealth
researchers; telehealth technology developers and industry; multimedia
developers, researchers and industry; individuals involved in the legal
and security issues of telehealth (such as lawyers, police, military,
etc.); government agencies involved with policy making and issues in
telehealth and multimedia

Congress Themes:

Distance: within a city, between cities, between a city and a rural
community, a rural community and a rural community, across provincial or
state borders, across national borders, between nations, with space

Technologies: hardware, software, multimedia technologies,
telecommunication, medical equipment, etc.

Professions: telemedicine, tele-emergency, telepsychiatry, telepathology,
teleopthalmology, teleradiology, teledermatology, tele-surgery,
tele-laboratory medicine, teledentistry, tele-oral health, telenursing,
telepharmacy, telerehabilitation, etc.

Standards, Policies & Legal aspects: professional license, security of
health information, inter-connectivity, billing, accreditation, ethics,
etc.

Other Areas: health promotion, home care, surveillance, culture, finances
--
Prof. Walter Leal Filho
TU-TECH / Technical  University  Hamburg-Harburg