From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:48:40 -0400
Hi all,

Personally, I have been upset at the recent postings on the listserv.

Not because of the subject, but because of the tone and the environment it
creates.  I feel the tone creates an environment where many are afraid to
participate instead of an environment where we try to listen to each other
and learn from different perspectives.  At the same time I share people's
concerns with 'healing flowers', but I don't think we have really honestly
put those concerns on the table.  If we did we might have a good discussion
about alternative medicine and maybe develop some principles for dealing
with it.

So, to move on and maybe start anew?

I am concerned with the promises of the 'flowers' and the affect of not
treating ailments, for example a few years back my son suffered from mild
asthma that was triggered with a cold.  We spent a lot of time with his
physician and the nurse practitioner learning about this problem.  We took
a lot of prevention steps, such as moving pretty well everything out of his
bedroom and working to make sure if was dust free. (although this was not a
trigger when he was acute it could aggravate the condition).  We worked to
make our home smoke free. (yes I am a smoker- shame-shame).  And finally we
learned which drugs to use when.

My son has pretty well grown out of this.  But there were a number of
important lessons.  My son was very much a part of this and thus learned
that he was in control and responsible for his medical care and wellbeing.
 We learned to be proactive.  We learned a lot about the illness, thus
increasing our sense of control.  And I feel we got wonderful medical care
that included education.

The one downside was the guilt on my part as a smoker, I have as yet not
worked out how to finish with that or use it or what ever.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but I did notice that on the flower
website asthma is used as an example and I personally do not feel
comfortable with what it suggests:

"Imagine for example that you are suffering from asthma. There is no Bach
Flower Remedy for asthma, since this is a physical complaint. Instead you
need to ignore the asthma and look at the kind of person you are. Perhaps
you are someone who is shy and timid, and who gets nervous about things
like speaking in public and meeting new people. This would indicate that
you are a
Mimulus type, so this would be the first remedy to select."

http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/select.htm

An interesting website on netedicate is:

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html