CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Christopher Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:42:48 -0500
Apologies for any cross-postings.

This week the International Development Network (IDN) at
http://www.idn.org/ features CIDA's "1999-00 Estimates - A Report on
Plans and Priorities (RPP)" as our "Quick Link of the Week". The
Canadian International Development Agency's (CIDA) RPP plays an
important role in government accountability to Parliament. This is the
Agency's primary public strategic level planning document and is
intended for Parliamentary and public scrutiny. It portrays the Agency's
mandate, plans, priorities and sets out strategies for achieving
expected key results.

You can link directly to this document on the CIDA web site in either
English or French.

Our Transparency Watch continues, with USAID still lagging far behind.
See the updated numbers at the IDN Web Site.

In two weeks, we will take you behind the scene at USAID so that you can
see some of the discussion that takes place at USAID regarding their web
site development.  You will see first hand the difficulty they have in
defining their target audience and just what information they should
provide and how they should provide it.

Here is what else is new at the IDN this week:

MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY

The IDN membership directory has been updated to include a full profile
of Mr. John Lawrence, our most recent member. We have notice a large
increase in the downloads of members' CV's by interested organizations.

Information on how to become a sponsoring member of the IDN so that your
CV is also available as part of our central repository may be found
at http://www.idn.org/membership/index.htm

DEVELOPMENT EMPLOYMENT LISTINGS

Updated to include a vacancy for an International Development Librarian.

TOOLS YOU CAN USE

The IDN is pleased to provide you with tools for your research and
business development use.

This week's tool is the web site for the 1998-99 Budget for the
Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID)

NEW PUBLICATIONS

Latin America and the Caribbean in the World Economy (1998 Edition)
The region’s export volume grew by nearly 8% last year, but this only
partially offset falling prices, says the 1998 edition of the Panorama
de la Inserción Internacional de América Latina y el Caribe (Latin
America and the Caribbean in the World Economy, 1998 Edition), published
on March 25, 1999 by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the
Caribbean (ECLAC).

You can access the English Abstract and Summary or download the
publication in Spanish

NGO/PROJECT PROFILES

A Community Concept in Seed Management

The IDN is proud to present feature stories on projects and NGOs from
around the world.

This week we feature "A Community Concept in Seed Management"

Twenty years ago, most of Nepal's remote communities were able to grow
enough food to meet their annual needs for grains and other vegetables.
With help from USC-Canada, the situation is now much different. Visit
the IDN Web site at http://www.idn.org/ for details of one community's
concept.

NEW LINKS

Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development - participating in the
financing of economic and social development projects in the Arab World
since 1968.

Canada - South Pacific Ocean Development Program (C-SPODP) - objective
of the program is institutional capacity building, specifically in
environmental sustainability, results-based management, gender equity,
and private sector development.

The Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) / Bureau canadian
de l'éducation internationale (BCEI) - develops technical assistance
programs to be delivered abroad by Canadian educators and other
professionals. (English/French)

The Caribbean Association of Industry and Commerce - The authentic voice
of the regional Private Sector speaking on their behalf on matters
related to Policy Advocacy, Trade and Regional Integration.

Caribbean Conference of Churches - Promoting Ecumenism and Social Change
in Obedience to Jesus Christ and in Solidarity with the Poor.

The Caribbean Meteorological Institute - role and mission is to improve
the meteorological and hydrological services and to assist in promoting
the awareness of the benefits of these services for the economic well-
being of the CMO countries.

Caribbean Youth Environment Network - a non-profit Caribbean
organisation dedicated to the promotion of appropriate development
through education, regional integration and community empowerment aimed
at changing attitudes and behavior of young people.

GlobalEd - is an education resource, sponsored by the Australian Agency
for International Development, for students and teachers. Within this
site is information about various Global Issues such as Health, or the
Environment, as well as profiles of Countries assisted by Australian
funding.

Health and Human Resources Analysis for Africa (HHRAA) Project (USAID) -
created to increase the utilization of research, analysis, and
information to improve health, nutrition, education, and family planning
strategies, policies, and programs in Africa.

Malaria Foundation International - Mission is to facilitate the
development and implementation of solutions to the health, economic and
social problems caused by malaria.

Minestero Affari esteria, Cooperazione Allo Sviloppo - Italian Ministry
of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (Italian)

The NGO Working Group on the World Bank -  an independent global forum
of NGOs engaged in policy dialogue and advocacy with the World Bank.

Overpopulation.com - Information and resources on the overpopulation
debate.

Rehydration Project - works within the health framework of developing
countries to assist in finding new ways to promote, produce and provide
Oral Rehydration Salts.

Links with an (*) are modified links or link descriptions.

MEETINGS/CONFERENCES/SYMPOSIA

Information is available on the "9th International Conference on Gender
and Science And Technology (GASAT): From Policy to Action in Gender,
Science and Technology for Sustainable Development in the 21st Century"

The IDN plans to continue our growth and to expand the depth and breadth
of our information services.  If you have not yet thought about a
membership/sponsorship in the IDN, we encourage you to consider becoming
a sponsor/member of the fastest growing, most comprehensive and current
International Development Web Site on the Internet! Information is
available at http://www.idn.org/membership/index.htm