From:
grace ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:19:30 -0400
Dear David,
I find your argument refreshing, not least because you dare to tell some truths about health promotion that need to be said out loud in order to be demystified.  I wonder if part of the need to see health promotion as a "mature" profession has do do with many of our career histories, where being part of a distinct, if not "territorial" group served to give a sense of security during uncertain economic times in our lives.

 It takes a kind of courage, (and maturity) to act out of a place of "not knowing".  And in health promotion, where the borrowing of philosophies and strategies is still in the formative stages, we are in that place.  Personally, I love the dynamic interplay, the eclectic bringing together of diverse viewpoints, and the tentativity, in a world where too many people claim to know too much with too much certainty.

Great dialogue. Keep it coming,

Grace Ross,
Manager, Youth Health Program
Waterloo Region Community Health Department
Waterloo, Ontario