From:
Keith Currie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:32:25 -0600
Has anyone have some data on the economic benefits of breastfeeding
(reducing
health care costs)? I am invoved in a demonstration project here in
Edmonton where
a group of health educators/cultural brokers provide service in 6 cultural
communities.
One of many services provided for families experiencing language and
cultural barriers                is breastfeeding education and support. One of several
outcomes of the project is increased breastfeeding rates. In the Chinese
community the breastfeeding rates for mothers who
were invoved with an educator/broker is 79% versus 29%. We are proud of
this outcome, but
now however we are trying to demonstrate cost benefits of our work.
    Any help would be appreciated.
Leeann Currie
Coordinator Multicultural Community Health Development Project.