From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:41:12 -0400
----------
> From: Peter & Karen Mykietka <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]

> I've conducted research with teen mothers and found their comments on our
> prenatal nutrition program (Health for Two) interesting.  Low-income
> pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers can receive milk coupons as part
of
> the program.  The teen mothers pointed out they need formula not milk at
> least initially.  It seems like most teen mothers choose (or are forced
> choose) formula feeding over breast feeding because they have to return
> school or work.

Hi Karen,

In Alberta ALL new mothers on Social Assistance must leave their infants at
6 months and participate in schooling or workfare, so you are right that
they do not have a choice.  It seems to me that you may want to focus on
this issue as well as the rates that are paid to pregnant women and single
mothers that makes it impossible to be able to afford enough food.

> It seems discriminatory to offer "nutrition" to breastfeeding mothers but
> not formula feeding mothers.

I agree that it would be better to just have a standard allotment, in
general, as much of the caseload spends their days working our experience
is that most "programs" reach about 3% to 5%  of the people who are
qualified so they are often not any kind of solution and often add  stress
to people's lives if that is the only way they can survive and allow
governments to turn a blind eye to the depths of poverty that they are
responsible for.

Whereas women who must buy formula have quite a cost
> burden ($40-$80) month, so these infants are at higher risk of
malnutrition
> if the mother has low income.

If you have documentation of women who are watering down formula please
share it as this would alarm many people, also did you obtain information
on when women move from formula to cow's milk for their infants?

The Edmonton Social Planning Council has done a lot of work around these
issues, I am sure they would like to hear from you and they may have some
ideas of where you can start to work on these issues if they concern you.

Many advocates are struggling with the issue of the affects on children of
the currents welfare reforms, I noticed this from an Ohio advocate
yesterday:

"I spoke with Mary today at work. She is the mother who was forced to
quit breast feeding her 2 month old baby because she was forced to work
workfare hours. She told me that she had to take her daughter to the
emergency room shortly after she quit nursing her. Even though her
daughter had never had any problems before she developed constricted
intestines due to the drastic change in her diet. How can these morons
get away with this. She is ready to fight this on any level we can find.
I would love to see this one get to the national press! People need to
be made aware that this kind of child abuse is being inflicted by the
State of Ohio! This mother isn't required to work under federal law.
This is strictly a state decision!! This woman even asked if she could
work 5 days a week 4 hours a day so that she could continue to nurse her
baby and was told that she would have to work two full 8 hour days and a
4 hour day. They refused to accommodate a nursing mother of a two month
old child and inflicted medical harm on that child!"

Good luck,

Sherrie Tingley