From:
Peter & Karen Mykietka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:21:00 -0600
I also believe that breastfeeding is the better option and should be
promoted.  I was just pointing out the discrepancies in policies and
programs.  We say that we promote breastfeeding yet we do not give all women
the opportunity to contintue breastfeeding because many women have to return
to work or school.  To really promote breastfeeding we also have to consider
the structural barriers such as lack of on-site nurseries in workplaces and
school, inflexible work and school environments and public policies, and
inadequate maternity leave.

I interviewed teen mothers who wanted to breast feed and did so initially.
However, they are only give 4 weeks leave from school.  These girls are on
student finance and if they don't return to school in 4 weeks they lose
their funding and have no way of supporting themselves.  They could maybe go
get a job but then they still wouldn't be able to breastfeed.  We would need
to have more schools with nurseries or different funding policies if these
girls are to really have the choice to breastfeed.

Karen Mykietka @ 437-6092
Centre for Health Promotion Studies, U of A
e-mail: [log in to unmask]