From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:22:34 -0400
----------
> From: Tricia Wilkerson <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Hello!  We are currently trying to develop a list of children's (and
youth)
> literature that deals with lifestyle issues (primarily nutrition,
physical
> activity and tobacco).  We hope to share this list with schools
throughout
> our county.  I am responsible for developing a list of books that talk
about
> tobacco.  Is anyone aware of any such list that has been developed?  Can
> anyone suggest where I could begin?  Are there any children's (youth)
books
> that talk about tobacco that you could recommend?  We are looking for a
> range of books for all ages (ages 4 through to ages 18).  Any feedback
would
> be appreciated.
> Also - any books that you can suggest that talk about nutrition, body
image
> or physical activity would be great too - I can pass this information to
the
> people responsible for these sections.
> Thanks,
> Tricia Wilkerson

Hi Tricia,

Your message has been on my mind for a few days, I am not sure how to get
at the issues it raises for me, but I will give it a try.

I am not sure if you are going about this the right way, especially in
light of the recent study on why young women are smoking.  Is a book on
smoking and its affects going to address the issues of the need of young
women to be attractive to the opposite sex?  Or are books that have strong
women heroes that have success with their lives going to have more of an
overall impact on the choices that are made?

Just a thought,

Sherrie Tingley