From:
Cathy Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:15:44 -0400
>URGENT! PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND AND TELL OTHERS!
>NOTE:  TO ORGANIZATIONS or energetic individuals: WE HAVE AN URGENT NEED
FOR DONATIONS OF BAGELS, MUFFINS, JUICE TO SUPPLEMENT THE BREAKFAST THAT WE
ARE PUTTING ON (or money to do same)

>Homelessness
>>It's a National Disaster!!
>>
>>The Toronto Disaster Relief Committee will release its call for all levels
of government to declare homelessness as a national disaster

>Thursday, October 8 at 10 am
>>Church of the Holy Trinity - 10 Trinity Square
>>(behind the Eaton Centre, south of Dundas Street West between Bay and
Yonge St.)

>free breakfast at 9 am for homeless/low-income people
>

>>Moderator:  Ursula Franklin
>>Speakers TBA
>>Your presence is important. There will be an opportunity for you to sign
the State of Emergency Declaration.

>This is the declaration:
>>We call on all levels of government to declare homelessness a national
disaster requiring emergency humanitarian relief. We urge that they
immediately develop and implement a national Homelessness Relief and
Prevention Strategy using disaster relief funds both to provide the homeless
with immediate health protection and housing and to prevent further
homelessness.

>>Canada has signed the International Covenant of Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights guaranteeing everyone's right to "an adequate standard of
living…including adequate food, clothing and housing." Homeless people have
no decent standard of living; our governments are violating this agreement
by neglecting them.

>>Despite Canada's reputation for providing relief to people made
temporarily homeless by natural disasters, our governments are unwilling to
help the scores of thousands of people in Canada condemned to homelessness.
Morally, economically, socially, and legally, we cannot allow homelessness
to become "normal" in Canadian life. Inaction betrays many thousands of us
to a miserable existence and harms our society for years to come.

>>For more info contact the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee c/o
>>Cathy Crowe (416) 703-8482 ext 117 or Beric German (416) 964-2459

Witness!!!

Cathy Crowe, RN
w: 416-703-8482 (117)
fax: 416-703-6190