From:
Michel O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:43:25 -0500
Dear friends and colleagues (especially the French on the various lists
where I post this message).

I have a nephew who supposedly enrolled over the last weeks in the French
légion étrangère, after a stay of a few months in France working at the
vendanges, etc. Our image of the légion was very much related to North
Africa, camels, etc., very folklorical in many ways, with the idea that it
was not existing anymore. My sister, who did not have news over the past
2-3 weeks is in a state of shock. If anybody has a sense of whether the
légion still exists, of where it operates, of the type of work they do, of
if it is true that candidates are not allowed to reach their families for
the first few months when they have signed and if it is true that they sign
for 5 years, would you please get in touch with me privately at
[log in to unmask]  My sister fears that he has been trapped in a
religious sect using the legion as a cover up.

Thank you for helping us to sort out this rather unexpected situation.

Merci.

Une tres bonne journee.

Michel O'Neill, Ph.D.

Professeur titulaire et Codirecteur, Groupe de recherche et d'intervention
en promotion de la sante (GRIPSUL), Faculte des Sciences infirmieres,
4108-J Pavillon Comtois, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc, Canada, G1K 7P4.
tel: +1-(418)-656-2131 #7431; telecopieur: +1-(418)-656-7747
Courrier electronique: [log in to unmask]

Codirecteur, Centre quebecois collaborateur de l'OMS pour le developpement
de villes et villages en sante / Quebec WHO Collaborating Center for the
development of healthy cities and towns,
2400 D'estimauville, Beauport, Qc, Canada, G1E 7G9.
tel: +1-(418)-666-7000 #461; telecopieur: +1-(418)-666-2776
Courrier electronique:[log in to unmask]