From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:24:26 PST
>WHO Boss Sets Out Stance on Health and Human Rights
>
>Press Release - 8 December 1998
>
>Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland, Director-General of the World Health Organization
>(WHO), today called on the international community to enshrine health as a
>basic human right. This was her first major policy speech on the subject
>since taking over as WHO Director-General in July 1998 and was delivered as
>she chaired a UNESCO-hosted Round Table in Paris, France to mark the 50th
>anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
>
>"Poverty leads to ill health and ill-health breeds poverty. Where there is
>structural poverty and ill-health, there will be poor development - and
>poor human rights," Dr Brundtland said.
>
>The Principle of Health for All, and of equal access to health services for
>all, is therefore as central to humankind's development, and the securing
>of basic human rights, as economic or any other type of social development,
>Dr Brundtland asserted.
>
>"Never have so many had such broad and advanced access to healthcare. But
>never have so many been denied access to health. The developing world
>carries 90% of the disease burden, yet poorer countries have access to only
>10% of the resources that go to health."
>
>Dr Brundtland stressed how girls and women are particularly vulnerable and
>how their right to equal health has to be especially protected. Female
>genital mutilation is already a major violation of human rights, as is
>violence against women, and by 2010 violence is estimated to take its place
>as one of the world's leading burdens of disease.
>
>Other health areas of prime importance to WHO, and which affect people's
>basic right to lead full, productive and healthy lives, are malaria,
>tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS and the scourge of tobacco, and Dr Brundtland
>addressed each of these priorities.
>
>"WHO will step up its advice in health sector reform. In doing so, we will
>draw on the key values enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human
>Rights. Health security is a challenge which encompasses many of the rights
>enlisted in the Declaration. It means universal access to adequate health
>care, access to education and information, the right to food in sufficient
>quantity and of good quality, but also the right to decent housing and to
>live and work in an environment where known health risks are controlled."
>
>Dr Brundtland also announced that she will start working with the UN High
>Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson, to trigger closer cooperation
>between WHO and the High Commission.
>
>For further information, journalists can contact Gregory Hartl, WHO,
>Geneva. Telephone (41 22) 791 44 58. Fax (41 22) 791 48 58. E-Mail:
>
>All WHO Press Releases, Fact Sheets and Features as well as other
>information on this subject can be obtained on Internet on the WHO home
>page http://www.who.ch/

Visit our Web Site for an Overview of ALL of our Quality of Life Projects!
http://www.utoronto.ca/qol

 All children belong to society.
 But obviously society will have to be changed
   in order to make it treat its children better.

       -Halldor Laxness  "The Atom Station"

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101