From:
Doug McCall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:31:59 -0800
please find below a part of the story that appeared on the Toronto Star
site. We clipped the item for our school health listserve that provides news
items, journal summaries, websites for health teachers and students and a
variety of other info. Here is the "Digest" from a recent School Health
posting this week.

                       school_health Digest for 15 Dec 1998

Topics covered in this issue include:

   1: For Health teachers-AMA Site for Kids
             by Doug McCall <[log in to unmask]>
   2: For Health Teachers-Online Learning-Yucky, Cool Body Info
             by Doug McCall <[log in to unmask]>
   3: For All-Health Inequalities Page
             by Doug McCall <[log in to unmask]>
   4: For All-Health Canada reports on Mental Health of Children and
             by Doug McCall <[log in to unmask]>
   5: For All-NewsClip-Asthma Rates High in School Children
             by Doug McCall <[log in to unmask]>

If anyone wants to join this free daily list, just send us an e-mail to

Doug Mccall
Executive Director
Canadian Association for School Health

Here is the Toronto Star story
You may also want to search the Canada NewsWire Site at:http://www.newswire.ca

Subject: For All-NewsClip-ONT MPP Pushed for Test for Mould in Portables

Test all portables for mould, MPP urges
Toronto Star Staff Reporters
All of the province's 14,000 portable classrooms would be tested for mould
and repaired immediately under a private members bill introduced by New
Democrat Bud Wildman. Wildman (Algoma) said yesterday that eliminating the
potentially harmful mould  from portables is a non-partisan issue and called
upon MPPs from all three parties to support his bill. Private members bills
rarely become law.
Some medical officials, environmental engineers and building scientists have
linked prolonged exposure to the mould stachybotrys atra to migraines,
nosebleeds, asthma, fatigue, rashes,diarrhea and irritability.
Citizen groups in Peel, Halton, Windsor, Ottawa and York Region have been
pushing
their local school boards to conduct tests on portables and have been urging the
government to provide funding for the tests, which cost about $1,000 per
portable.