From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:55:37 -0500
>Please feel free to copy this to other lists!
>

>THE ROLE OF HEALTH PROMOTION WITHIN A REFORMED HEALTH SYSTEM...
>
>A Conference for Health Service Decision-Makers
>
>February 19, 1999
>George Ignatieff Theatre,
>Trinity College
>15 Devonshire Place
>Toronto, ON
>

>Why do we need this conference?
>Ontario's health system is currently experiencing unprecidented change.
>Governments and local service providers alike are examining ways in which
health
>services can be re-aligned into Integrated Health Delivery Systems.  It is
essential
>that the field of health promotion provide a strong voice to the
discussions of
>health service reform.
>
>What questions will the conference address?
>* Where does health promotion fit within a reformed health system?  What
does
>health promotion have to offer a reformed health system?
>
>Who should attend?
>* Health service decision-makers.
>
>* Health administrators and planners.
>
>* Health promotion practitioners and researchers.
>
>Why?
>* To understand the role of health promotion and the benefits it can
contribute to
>health care reform initiatives.
>
>* To learn about the status of current reform initiatives and the subsequent
>challenges and opportunities facing the field.
>

>Agenda at a Glance
>
>8:30 am - Registration, Main Entrance, George Ignatieff Theatre.
>
>9:00 am - Opening Remarks,  Ted Mavor,  Grand River Hospital
>
>9:10 am - Keynote Address:  The Role of Health Promotion within a Reformed
>Health System,  David Korn, Visiting Distinguished Scientist, Harvard
Medical
>School
>
>9:30 am - Panel Response: David Butler-Jones, Saskatchewan Health; Hy
>Eliasoph, Ontario Hospital Association; Carol Kushner, Health Care
Consultant;
>Camille Orridge, Toronto Community Care Access Centre
>
>10:30 am - Refreshment Break
>
>10:45 am - Concurrent Sessions:
>A - Long Term Care, Camille Orridge
>B - Policy, David Butler-Jones
>C - Primary Care, Carol Kushner
>D - The Hospital Sector, Hy Eliasoph
>
>12 noon - Lunch: The Buttery, Trinity College
>Luncheon Keynote Speaker: The Hon. Elizabeth Witmer, Minister of Health
for the
>Province of Ontario.
>
>1:00 pm - Concurrent Sessions:
>E - Integrated Health Systems, Elizabeth Birse, Heather Graham
>F - Healthy Communities, Fran Perkins, Toronto Healthy City Office; Clint
Rohr,
>Woolwich Community Health Centre
>G - Mental Health, Bonnie Pape, Canadian Mental Health Assoc.
>H - Brokering Relationships, Rob Simpson, Homewood Behaviour Health
>Corporation
>
>2:30 pm - Refreshment Break
>3:00 pm - Panel Discussion: Where do we go from here?
>Peter Cole, Medical Officer of Health - Peel
>Murray MacKenzie, CEO & President - North York General Hospital
>Lorne Zon, Executive Director - Toronto District Health Council
>
>4:00 pm - Closing Remarks, Lori Wilson, Toronto District Health Council
>

>Conference Planning Committee Member Organizations:
>
>Centre for Health Promotion,
>  University of Toronto
>Association of Ontario Health Centres
>Canadian Mental Health Association,
>  Ontario Division
>Grand River Hospital, Kitchener
>Hospitals for Community
>  Involvement Group
>Hospital Health Promotion Network
>Ontario Hospital Association
>Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
>Ontario Public Health Association
>The Hospital for Sick Children
>The Self-Help Resource Centre
>  of Greater Toronto
>The Toronto Hospital
>Sunnybrook-Women's College Hospital
>Toronto District Health Council
>

>Financial support for this conference has been generously provided by:
>
>Health Canada
>

>To register please provide the following:
>
>Name:
>Position:
>Organization & Address:
>Phone:
>Fax:
>Email:
>
>Space is limited to 125 persons.  Please send registration by FEBRUARY
8,1999
>to:
>Reformed Health Systems Conference
>Centre for Health Promotion, University of Toronto
>100 College Street, Suite 207
>Toronto, ON  M5G 1L5
>Phone: 978-1809        Fax:  416-971-1365
>

>Joanne Taylor Lacey, Information Officer
>Centre for Health Promotion
>100 College St., Suite 207
>Banting Institute
>University of Toronto
>Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L5
>Phone: 416-978-2182
>Fax: 416-971-1365
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>
>"Complete Freedom From Stress is Death"
>       - Hans Seyle

Visit our Web Site for Free Copies of Our Community Quality of Life Reports!

http://www.utoronto.ca/qol

   Canalising a river
   Grafting a fruit tree
   Educating a person
   Transforming a state
   These are instances of fruitful criticism
   And at the same time instances of art.
       -Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101