From:
Laurent Filliettaz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:22:34 -0500
I used to be a nurse, which means that I am not used to making much
difference between health promotion and harm reduction, probably because,
in my opinion, they both are part of this job. Why just give a patient
explanation about a medicine when you also could explain to him/her why
he/she fell ill ?
The problem is that it is easy to give explanations, but it is not easy to
go further.  In Karen's example, harm reduction has to deal directly with
the "endangered" population : clean syringe / condom = no virus contact.
Quite easy !
But prevention is much more complicated, the cause-effect system is not
that clear.  It requires more people and probably larger changes in society

That's why my opinion is that one should keep in mind the need of both
approaches, but the same person cannot efficiently do both at the same
time.
Good luck !

Séverine Schusselé Filliettaz

Laurent Filliettaz