From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:22:15 PST
Dear Riverdale Resident

As you know, there is a housing emergency in Toronto.  The former site of the
South Riverdale Community Health Centre at 126 Pape has been made in a
housing shelter for women.  Similarly, the Salvation Army on Broadview is
serving as a shelter for men.

A city report has recommended that these be continued beyond April.  Council
is meeting March 24, and the forces of reaction in Riverdale are not only
attacking the shelter but also the poor in the area.

I urge you to write a brief statement supporting the continuance of these
shelters and faxing it (with your signature, and address) to City Hall today.

Fax to:

Ms. Roz Dyer
Toronto City Council
fax: 392-2983

An example (modify as appropriate):

"I am writing to support the continuing use of 126 Pape and the Salvation
Army building on Broadview as a housing shelter. In these times of crisis it
is important that the City provide housing for those in need.  As a resident
of Riverdale I am proud of its tradition of diversity.  Please vote on Marcg
24 to continue these positive responses to homelessness."

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101