From:
annick bujold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:57:18 -0500
Hello

Domestic violence (and violence in general) is one of the most disturbing
problem of our modern society. Since the beginning of the seventies
numerous research have been done on the subject of domestic violence
enabling our community to know more on the subject and do something to
prevent the situation. Canada is thought to be one of the most advanced
country in the field but the problem still remains in 1999. Statistics
Canada 1996 Report shows that 9 013 women a year are touched by this
problematic. That is 3 out of 10 are victim of domestic violence
(Statistics Canada, 1996). Furtheremore, violence among teenagers couples
is begining to be more and more commun. In fact 10% of young girls in high
schools are victims of violence in their love relationship and 25% of
victims refuse to talk about the situation (Rapport du comité canadien sur
la violence faite aux femmes, 1993).

In the last couple of years program have emerged to try to help victims of
such violence. In Québec programs done by community center has been very
helpful in documenting the situation. Since september I had the chance to
read some of these new programs such as Violence-Info, Sexual Abuse and
Assault Program documented by the Quebec Goverment and its partners, VIRAJ
a special program for teenagers and violence in their love relationship and
finally the awarenesse campaign put together for television and for high
schools in october 1998: "La violence, c'est pas toujours frappant, mais ça
fait toujours mal" with a song written by "La Gamic"  to make tenagers more
aware of the situations (this program is also available in english).

After reviewing what is done in Quebec, I would be very interested in
learning more on what is done elsewere in Canada and in other countries. If
anyone have recent statistics, programs or any informations on the subject
I would be very grateful.

Thank you
Annick Bujold
Student at Laval University, Qc