From:
Lorraine Telford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:29:59 -0400
Dennis - I just had this discussion with Peter Elson (Exec. Director) and Brian
Hyndman (Pres.) of the Ontarip Public Health Association yesterday. The silence
is not too silent:

Ottawa and Waterloo Region have officially held events related to poverty and the
broad determinants of health (respectfully) - the latter was called "Where's
Welldo" and featured a "Welldo" character with visual images of the DOH  - eg a
HOUSE for a hat - on its person.  The OPHA has a very successful Food Security
initiative, and although provincial, it is funded by the Feds.  The OPHA has also
collaborated with a local food bank on some initiatives.  As you know, it is a
stretch to find a mandate for working with the DOH in the Ontario Mandatory
Programs - but some health units are more successful than others. Peel Region has
used a DOH approach to Violence Prevention, and the OPHA is working on a Position
Paper for violence prevention, apparently taking a DOH approach.  That's all I
know, as of yesterday.

I would appreciate hearing from any CANADIAN public health departments or

--

Lorraine Telford
The Health Communication Unit