From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:56:42 -0500
Bruce,

Thank you so much for your information.  I have pasted the release
information below.

I am wondering about this line in the release:

"In addition to being useful tool for individuals and families, the
Nutritious Food Basket can also be used to estimate food and household
budgets for groups of people, to create budget scenarios for education
programs, or to advocate for and develop policies related to realistic
financial support programs."

When my son was 6 years old he begged me for a 'treat' in his school lunch,
I started putting in cookies and he again begged me for a 'real treat'.
 Turned out to him a real treat was a store bought twinkie type treat, he
explained to me that everyone had one in their lunch.  This 'real treat'
was critical to him feeling comfortable in school.

Does the budget we are talking about here allow for a 'real treat'?  And if
not then will it be an good tool for "advocate for and develop policies
related to realistic financial support programs."??

Could we discuss this?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 15, 1999
The Nutritious Food Basket:
The Cost of Eating Well in the District of Thunder Bay

Food is one of the basic needs for life.  Eating a nutritious diet is
important to ensure optimal growth and development and to help prevent some
chronic diseases.

How much do you spend on food per month?  Recently, the Thunder Bay
District Health Unit calculated that it costs approximately $527.48 a month
to feed a family of four (2 adults 25-49 years; boy 13-15 years; girl 7-9).
 This is up $5.00 from October, 1998.  The Nutritious Food Basket is a food
costing tool that can help individuals, families and groups estimate the
cost of eating well on a limited budget.

The data for this food costing is based on average prices for 66 basic food
items collected from six grocery stores located throughout the Thunder Bay
District.  The specific foods that were priced were selected by the Ontario
Ministry of Health and are based on Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating,
spending patterns of Canadians and nutrient needs for all sex and age
groups. However, the Nutritious Food Basket costing formula does not
include the cost of convenience foods, snack foods, eating out, paper
products, nor personal hygiene and cleaning products.

"The Nutritious Food Basket is a useful tool for budgeting food dollars
because money intended for food is sometimes, out of necessity, used to pay
for other household expenses," says Catherine Schwartz, Public Health
Nutritionist.  "Money for food is often the only flexible monthly expense.
 Once food dollars have been set aside, choosing foods that are healthy
remains the key to a nutritious diet."

For many families, however, other living expenses must take priority over
food.  This is especially true for people living on a low income.  The
following scenario shows how it can be a real struggle for families to
afford to eat nutritiously:

Single Parent Family
Parent + 2 children ages 12 and 16
Monthly income          $   964.48 (full-time, minimum wage)
                        Monthly expenses
Rent (apt. + hydro)             $   647.00
Bus Pass                        $     55.00
Telephone                       $     14.87
Nutritious Food Basket* $    441.19
Total**                 $1158.06

Bottom Line                     -$ 193.58
*based on the average cost of 66 basic food items across six grocery stores
in Thunder Bay District in May, 1999
**Clothing, toiletries etc. not included
M. is the single parent of 2 children living in Thunder Bay.  M. works
full-time for minimum wage ($964.48/month).  To feed themselves properly,
this family needs at least $101.89 per week or $441.19 per month.  After
paying for rent and hydro ($647), telephone ($14.87) and a bus pass to get
to work ($55), there is only $247.61 left over for food.  This is $193.58
less than what this family needs to eat properly following Canada's Food
Guide to Healthy Eating.  Rent, utilities and telephone are all constant
monthly expenses; food is the only flexible item on their list.  M. tries
hard to buy basic nutritious foods for the family.  By the end of the month
it's just not possible to make ends meet.  M. is not alone.  Many people
who work for minimum wage, or receive social assistance, must use their
food money to pay for their other day-to-day living expenses.

In addition to being useful tool for individuals and families, the
Nutritious Food Basket can also be used to estimate food and household
budgets for groups of people, to create budget scenarios for education
programs, or to advocate for and develop policies related to realistic
financial support programs.  To monitor changes in the cost of eating well
in Thunder Bay District, the Health Unit will be collecting this
information on an annual basis.

Results of the Nutritious Food Basket Costing Survey and a step by step
worksheet for estimating your personal food costs are available from the
Health Unit and will be distributed to many community organizations that
deal with household budgeting issues.  Additional resources that address
healthy food choices and how individuals can get the most nutrition for
their food dollar are also available from the Health Unit.

"We hope that this focus on the food budget will encourage people to think
about their food purchases and that they will consider Canada's Food Guide
to Healthy Eating as the foundation for making the most of their food
dollars," says Schwartz.

For more information, call the Thunder Bay District Health Unit at
625-5900, and ask to speak with the Public Health Nutritionist or
Dietitian.
----------
From:   Bruce Nugent[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

Hi Click people (or is that Klik?)!

I have to apologize for sending out the Food Basket info with attachments.
 It's not very often that I have the time or info to contribute, so I got a
wee bit excited.  We have issued a news release and a budget formula sheet
to the local media for two years in a row.  We find that they are very
interested in this info.  And rightly so, as the cost of the same items
were $5.00 more a month than last year's study.  Wow, eh?

If anyone wants this info sent via fax, email, snail mail, carrier pigeon,
telegraph or whatever, let me know.

Bruce Nugent
Communications Officer
Thunder Bay District Health Unit