From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:56:01 -0500
>From:  Lorraine Khachatourians <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Working Upstream
>
>The Prairie Region Health Promotion Research Unit announces the release of
>a new publication ~
>
>WORKING UPSTREAM: DISCOVERING EFFECTIVE PRACTICE STRATEGIES FOR COMMUNITY
>DEVELOPMENT IN HEALTH
>         Saskatoon District health, Community Development Team, and Dr. Ron
>Labonte
>
>Community development is frequently referred to as a way to improve health.
>But is it a strategy? a profession? a set of values? or just a fad? How do
>community developers make choices about what they do and who they support?
>How does community development contribute to healthier communities - what
>should be expected from its activities? What are the challenges of working
>as a community developer for a regional health authority?
>
>These are some of the questions this document explores. It draws on many of
>the most important sources of information about health promotion such as
>health determinants research, the socio-environmental model, and community
>organizing, and combines these with an asset-based, positive definition of
>health and a set of values about community work. Using a story-dialogue
>method, it analyses stories from daily practice to articulate a framework
>for community development work in health. It sets out benchmarks for
>practice and a logic model for expected outcomes. It lists some
>organizational conditions that are key for community development's
>effectiveness.
>
>This document is available from the PRHPRC. The cost is $15.00, inclusive.
>You can order this document from our website at:
>http://www.usask.ca/healthsci/che/prhprc/occpap.html
>
>or mail your order and cheque, made out to the Prairie Region Health
>Promotion Research Centre, at the address below.
>

>Lorraine Khachatourians
>Resource Manager/Network Developer
>Prairie Region Health Promotion Research Centre
>University of Saskatchewan
>107 Wiggins Road
>Saskatoon SK  S7N 5E5
>Phone:  306-966-7939
>Fax:  306-966-7920
>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>
>Visit our websites for information on our programs
>Prairie Region Health Promotion Research Centre
>http://www.usask.ca/healthsci/che/prhprc
>Saskatchewan Heart Health Program
>http://www.usask.ca/healthsci/che/hhdis

Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101