Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 09:04:18 -0700
should be some concern about the federal election results. Mr. Dingwall
lost his seat (as someone with a stake in tobacco, I felt he was a
strong advocate for health and policy!!) and John Bryden,
Burlington-Wentworth (Lib) retained his seat. As some of you may have
noted, Mr. Bryden's track record in the last Parliament included
attacking the Charitable sector and National Poverty Groups for misuse
of funds (!!) and initiating a tax audit on the Non Smokers Rights
Association , which many felt was a vendetta against the organization
for opposing the tobacco tax rollback of '94 (which we know was a
disaster).

Recently, a group of Physicians nation-wide sponsored ads in all local
Hamilton papers attacking Mr. Bryden's actions and ethics (this was the
second full page ad - the first in the Ottawa Citizen a few years back.
I think as health promoters we should be concerned and aware of future
political threats to public health and healthy public policy, and apply
the heat where and when necessary. Keep a keen eye out in the next
parliament!!

Sincerely,

Alan McFarlane
Member-at-large,
Health Promotion Ontario (public health)

** the opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of Health
Promotion Ontario (public health)