From:
Bozena Kristof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 03:08:41 -0400
Dear  Listmembers

Recent phone correspondence with the Prime  Minister's Office and an
internal letter I obtained by the Freedom of Information Act from  the
Ontario Ministry of Labour has unfortunately revealed that there is a
possibility of other cases of Trypanosomiasis at the University of
Guelph.

see document at URL :
http://www.easynet.on.ca/~kristof/new_oct_1997.html

or bottom of main site for link at URL :
http://www.easynet.on.ca/~kristof/fraud.html

I was infected  with the deadly Trypanosmiasis in 1990 while
working as a lab-tech in the Dept. of  Microbiology at the University of
Guelph. The University researcher(Dr. Mutharia) did  not inform me of
the nature of her work in my lab and did not even reveal that she had
worked with Trypanosomes until 1994 and the human pathogenic strains
until 1996. She worked in  my teaching lab under level -a conditions
which was frequented not only by  myself but countless undergrads as
well. She only obtained Biosafety Committee approval  until 11 months
after she inported the material into Canada and after she saw my
symptoms developing. The import permits required a stringent Biosafety
level-2.

I was treated in 1995, successfully - in Canada.  To this day the
University has not come  "clean" and admitted its fault in breaking the
law. On the contrary, in some twisted sense  to save a perceived but
lacking innocence they have denied all and even tried such  underhanded
tricks like trying to threaten my internet provider to kick me off my
web-site  (unsuccessfully).

The government both provincial and federal were not any better. Even
though the evidence showed the contrary, the Ministry of Labour
maintains that Dr. Mutharia had Biosafety  Committee approval to work
under her lab-bench conditions (ie level-a).  This was not  true, she
had no Committee approval for nearly a year.  On the other hand, because
the  federal government knew that the University should have worked
under Biosaftey Level 2  they fabricated (contrary to hardcopy evidence)
that Dr. Mutharia indeed did work under  those conditions. Both
governments are simply covering up for the University. This is not
opinion but a logical conclusion from the evidence.

The ramifications of the possibility of more cases are simply
unfathomable. I urge  Health and Safety officials in Canada (or
elsewhere)  to look into this matter. Do we need another cover-up  like
Somalia or more importantly another blood scandal.

sincerely

Bozena Kristof