From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:38:10 -0500
I received the following message with a request that the poster remain
anonymous. So to respect that request (and I believe that the request
comes from someone who is not a CLICK4HP subscriber) I am copying the
message here.

Alison
Alison Stirling, co-facilitator, CLICK4HP
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://www.web.net/~stirling/

In yesterday's discussion, some people have taken to suggest Dennis'
approach is 'confrontational'.  I on the other hand look at his reply to
Alana's posting as simply challenging us to see the obvious, for
heaven's sake.  We simply need to act on our beliefs and principles.  Or
is that a bad thing?

An ethics professor I once knew used to answer the same thing to the
question which inevitably came out during case study classes.
Students would ask what the law stipulates or what they should do in
given circumstances and the prof would always asnwer:
"Ask not what should be done, there is no correct answer.  Rather, ask
yourself who you are!"

Many of us have been out of electricity in eastern Canada for almost a
week now, yet I didn't see too many people debating if and how we should
help those in need. I didn't see neighbours ask what was the best way to
help, or what the law stipulates they should do.   They took action,
whithout waiting for their governments to act or tell them what to do.
Neighbours helped each other out and did not let those in need suffer.

In this country (Canada), people are starving, uneducated, caught in
vicious cycles, unable to pay their rent, victimized and unsupported
(read: determinants of health.)  Meanwhile we're spending time debating
what 'strategy' should be used to deal with all this and accept the need
for things such as foodbanks in this country. Should we be
'confrontational' at the fact people are suffering.  I would personally
think we should, yes. And be upset, and to not accept it, and cry
outrage, and most importantly, do something about it. Now I'm not saying
we should not be strategic here, be careful not to assume this.

[submitted by an Anonymous person]