From:
Bob Jeffrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:15:51 -0600
I would suggest that the health promoter seek out existing groups, provide
them with a reflection of the information collected, give them copies of
the orginial research should they want it and then lead them through a
process about what steps the group is willing to undertake as a result of
the information that has been collected.

Some of the groups that should be considered are Chamber of commerce, Local
Service Clubs, Church councils, community and non profit boards.
The questions that would be most critical are
1) Do you understand the information collected
2) What makes it difficult to take action on the issues and concerns that
are raised?
3) What are the people in the room going to do based on the information
provided.

These are some quick thoughts. Thanks
Bob Jeffery

----------
> From: d.raphael <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Let's Get Concrete...
> Date: Wednesday, January 14, 1998 11:47 PM
>
> A health promoter carries out an intensive study of a community in a
major
> Ontarian city.  He interviews community residents, service providers, and
> local elected representatives.
>
> He comes to the conclusion that recent cutbacks to social assistance
> recipients are causing hardship and distress to community members.  The
> information from service providers indicates that cutbacks in funding are
> putting the agency and the community it serves at risk. The views of the
> political representatives are that social policy is being set back 50
> years. Not a single person says that provincial policies are enhancing
> health.
>
> He does the following:
>
> 1) asks for a meeting with the Ontario Ministers of Health, Community and
> Social Services, and Education to discuss the implications of these
findings.
> [possible outcome: increased funding for HP activities, changes in
provincial
> policies]
>
> 2) he asks for a meeting with opposition health, social services, and
> education critics to discuss the implications of these findings.
[potential