From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 01:28:59 -0500
For those of you who have not see the FORCES Web Page I reproduce
the following from http://www.forces-cdn.com
FORCES Canada is a newly formed organization in British Columbia.
We are the Canadian affiliate of FORCES, based in San Francisco,
California.

Both FORCES Canada and FORCES are non-for-profit organizations dedicated
to the protection and restoration of the civil and human rights of
smokers. We have no link with the tobacco companies, and we are
supported solely by member donations and vounteer work.

The purpose of this organization is to take active action against the
rising threat of a very aggressive,
government-backed anti-smoking agenda, having as its immediate goal the
elimination of smoking from all
"public" places, and as a final goal the relegation of tobacco to a
heavily controlled or forbidden substance.

We consider this a state abuse, an insult to Canada's six million
smokers, and we intend to fight it with any means available, while
proposing constructive, practical solutions that can solve this useless
confrontation, and accommodate the needs of both smokers and nonsmokers.

In principle, we do not recognize that the state has the right to
legislate on the behavior of citizens when it comes to personal choice
and lifestyle, regardless of the reason used to justify such
interference.