CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Flo Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 05:38:01 EDT
Florence Harding, Information Officer, Technical Support Group,
Health Department, Commonwealth Secretariat, Marlborough House
Pall Mall, LONDON SW1Y 5HX
Tel & Fax: 44 171 747 6543

Proposal
A dedicated listserver to discuss Health Information Systems for Commonwealth
Countries

Commonwealth Health Ministers at their 12th triennial meeting on "Health
Sector Reforms in the Interests of Health for All" discussed information
systems as a managerial tool as one of the topics.

The main recommendation made to the Secretariat under this topic was to
assist countries to acquire properly designed and maintained information
systems for the health sector. A strategy paper which outlines the context,
issues, phases and planned activities for work in this area is available on
request from [log in to unmask]

I would like to create a listserver, to provide a forum for discussing health
information systems for Commonwealth countries. I would like to get some idea
of interest in this forum and who might benefit from it. To this end, I am
conducting a short survey, soliciting your response to this idea. In
particular,

· What sort of discussions in your opinion do you think this listserver could
engage in - and how are these discussions different from others being held
presently?

· Is a listserver a valuable mechanism for you to use, and why?

· Who are the key people who could make this listserver Commonwealth centred?

· How would the discussions from this listserver benefit you?

· How could we safeguard the quality of discussions? And limit it if
necessary? What use can we (in the ComSec) make of the discussions?

· How might this forum be of interest and provide information you are not
able to get from elsewhere?

Finally, I would be grateful if you would furnish the following details about
yourself:
· Name, Title, Organisation, Country you are based in
· Your particular interest in Health Information Systems and/or Commonwealth
countries
· What you feel you are able to contribute and bring to the discussions

Please contact me if you have any specific queries. Thanks for taking the
time to respond, and I look forward to hearing your comments.

Please pass this on to any person or group you think may be interested in
joining this listserver.