From:
Elise Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:34:51 -0400
Sherrie,

It's actually not a silly question.  The differences are more related to
process.

Typically, condo's are built and developed by private developers for profit.
The developer comes up with the idea, invests their own funds, builds the
building, and then finds buyers to sell the units to.  Rarely, if ever, are
provisions for on-site services to seniors integrated into building plans.

The process that MCBA wishes to encourage is more of a community development
approach; for non-profit community groups to identify their needs and
desires in seniors housing, and then find a builder to work with that will
build seniors housing to meet their needs. This would include provisions for
on-site services, congregate meeting/recreational spaces for residents, etc.
It is anticipated that a non-profit group that develops a project would have
some of their own resources to provide to the project -- for instance, land
that they own and wish to develop, or have a group of seniors within their
group that would purchase the units once built.

Condo is a legal form of ownership, and it is possible that some of the MCBA
projects will take that form.  MCBA is very interested in the "life-lease"
form of ownership as well, and likely many projects would take this form.
Some projects could also have rental units, or a combination of rental and
some form of individual ownership.

Elise