From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 06:50:56 -0400
The Workfare Watch Project

The report 'Broken Promises: Welfare Reform in Ontario' is now on-line at:

http://www.welfarewatch.toronto.on.ca/

Ontario Works hurting people's efforts to leave welfare - Workfare Watch
report

          I was told by my worker that I couldn't get any training
whatsoever. 'Just go and pump gas or cut grass or whatever to replace your
$520 a month and that's all we're concerned with.(Simon, Niagara Region)

Ontario Works, the Ontario Government's welfare reform program, is not only
failing to "give people a hand up", it is actually interfering with
people's attempts to return to work according to "Broken Promises: Welfare
Reform in Ontario", a new report from the Workfare Watch Project.

The report is based on the results of focus groups and interviews with
Ontario Works participants in communities across Ontario: Windsor, London,
Peterborough, Guelph, Hastings and Prince Edward Counties, Toronto, Thunder
Bay, Sudbury, Durham Region. Workfare Watch is a joint
project of the Ontario Social Safety Network and the Community Social
Planning Council of Toronto.

See the Full Report at:

http://welfarewatch.toronto.on.ca/promises/report.htm

For additional information: