From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:54:04 PDT
Forwarded Message:
From: Nancy Krieger <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:49:27 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: useful textbook for courses on population health
To: Spirit of 1848 <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everyone--

        I just came across a new textbook which I thought could be useful
for several folk teaching courses relevant to population health
(especially those geared to incoming masters students). You may know of it
already; it's called:

        Young TK. Population health: concepts and methods. New York:
        Oxford University Press, 1998.

It is intended to be a "foundation" book for courses in population health;
while based in epi, it also draws on relevant social sciences (including
sociology, anthropology, and demography). I first became aware of this
author's work when reading some books & articles he's written and
co-edited re health of indigenous people in North America (esp. Canada).

        Chapter titles are:

--Measuring health and disease in populations
--Modeling determinants of population health
--Assessing health risks in populations
--Designing population health studies
--Planning population health interventions
--Evaluating health services for populations
--Improving the health of populations

Each chapter also has case studies and exercises (e.g., calculating
& comparing rates, etc.).

        Also, please note that next February there will be a new textbook
on "Social Epidemiology", edited by Lisa Berkman and Ichiro Kawachi (also
to be published by Oxford University Press)(and in which yours truly has a
chapter, to give a note of self-disclosure). This upcoming book is for
folk who are past the introductory stage of becoming aware of issues &
concepts relevant to understanding & altering population health and want
more in-depth coverage on concepts & methods & their application. The
table of contents is as follows:

--A historical framework for social epidemiology (Lisa F. Berkman, Ichiro
  Kawachi)
--Socioeconomic position (John Lynch and George Kaplan)
--Discrimination and health (Nancy Krieger)
--Income inequality and health (Ichiro Kawachi)
--Working conditions and health (Tores Theorell)
--The impact of job loss and retirement on health (Stanislav V. Kasl
  and Beth A. Jones)
--Social integration, social networks, social support and health (Lisa F.
  Berkman and Thomas A. Glass)
--Social cohesion, social capital and health (Ichiro Kawachi and Lisa F.
  Berkman)
--Depression and medical illness (Robert M. Carney and Kenneth E.
  Freedland)
--Affective states (Laura Kubzansky and Ichiro Kawachi)
--Health behaviors in social context (Karen M. Emmons)
--Psychosocial intervention (Thomas A. Glass)
--Towards a new social biology (Eric J. Brunner)
--Ecological approaches: rediscovering the role of the physical and
  social environment (Sally Macintyre and Anne Ellaway)
--Multi-level approaches to understanding social determinants (Michael
  Marmot)
--Health and social policy (S. Jody Heymann)

In other words, a goodly listing of topics.

        And finally, I encourage others of you on the bulletin board to
pass along names of textbooks you find useful in your teaching. We are
still in the process of getting our curriculum and data resource guides on
our Web page and when these resources are up and running, this will be
another way we can share information to improve teaching & research &
action re social justice & public health.
                    onwards--
                        Nancy K

Nancy Krieger, PhD                              office: 617-432-1571
Associate Professor                             fax:    617-432-3123
Dept of Health and Social Behavior
Harvard School of Public Health
677 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115                        email:  [log in to unmask]

Visit our Web Site for an Overview of ALL of our Quality of Life Projects!
http://www.utoronto.ca/qol

 All children belong to society.
 But obviously society will have to be changed
   in order to make it treat its children better.

       -Halldor Laxness  "The Atom Station"

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101