From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:02:15 -0400
another posting on behalf of a request to the Click4HP lsit-owners.

Dear Colleague:

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) publishes the
quarterly bulletin Alcohol Alert, a summary of research findings for health
care professionals.  On behalf of NIAAA, I am writing to inform you about
the latest issue of Alcohol Alert "Brief Intervention for Alcohol Problems",
which we believe will interest you and your colleagues.

Nearly one-fifth of patients treated in general medical practices report
drinking at levels considered "risky" or "hazardous" and may be at risk for
developing alcohol-related problems.  Brief intervention can be conducted in
general health care settings and can help patients reduce that risk.  The
latest edition of Alcohol Alert discusses approaches to brief intervention
and reports on its effectiveness.  Director of NIAAA Dr. Enoch Gordis,
points out "The findings that brief intervention can be an effective means
of intervening in alcohol problems adds an important tool to the clinician's
repertoire of treatment options."

The direct URL for Alcohol Alert No. 43: Brief Intervention for Alcohol
Problems is: http://silk.nih.gov/silk/niaaa1/publication/aa43.htm
Also, for information about training materials on brief intervention for
health care providers, visit the NIAAA Website: http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/

NIAAA invites you to photocopy "Brief Intervention for Alcohol Problems" and
distribute copies to your colleagues or print a brief announcement about its
availability in one of your organization's publications or mailings.
Additionally, your organization can request large or small quantities of
this free bulletin for distribution to your members by writing to either:

-or-

NIAAA Publications Distribution Center
Attn: Alcohol Alert
P.O. Box 10686
Rockville, MD 20849-0686

All issues of Alcohol Alert are in the public domain and may be summarized
or reprinted without permission.  Should you decide to publicize "Brief
Intervention for Alcohol Problems" to your colleagues, please inform me so
that I can accurately track the success of our efforts.  This exchange will
give you the opportunity to provide your members with information from the
lead Federal agency conducting and supporting research in the alcohol field.
I look forward to your response.  If you have any questions or would like to
discuss other ways to reach your colleagues with this important information,
please email me ( [log in to unmask] ) or call (202) 842-7600, ext.
237.

Sincerely,

Christopher S. Mohan
Marketing Coordinator