From:
"Jacobs, Anna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:20:09 -0400
This message has been posted on behalf of Lorna Heidenheim, southwest
regional community animator and interim executive director for OHCC.

I have read with interest the recent discussion about the differences
between Healthy Communities and Quality of Life, and would like to share
with you my perspective as a Community Animator with the Ontario Healthy
Communities Coalition (OHCC).

The Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition is a network of community and
provincial organizations who share a common goal of creating healthy
communities. There are currently 1300 individuals and organizations in our
network, 15 Provincial Association members and our staff work with over 100
communities across the province.  Through a small central office in Toronto
and eight regional Community Animators across the province, the Coalition
provides services, resources and support to communities that are pursuing
local healthy community goals.

I believe there is a great deal of overlap between QOL and Healthy
Communities, as well as with  many other models, movements and community
initiatives.  In addition to QOL, I have found that Healthy Communities is
often compared with Sustainable Communities, Green Communities, health
promotion campaigns and community development.

It seems to me that by and large these groups spring from similar
philosophical bases and observations about our current human/environment
condition.  Each of them, however, has placed more of an emphasis on
particular concerns, issues or strategies.  While it may be confusing, I
find the number of groups that are working to improve the world both for its
present day citizens and our future generations to be very affirming. OHCC
believes in co-operation and collaboration at all levels, and actively looks
for opportunities to partner with other organizations that share a similar
vision and goals.

Healthy Communities is often thought of as being primarily process-oriented.
While it is true that we strongly believe that the process greatly
influences the outcomes, particularly when working in a community context,
the content is also very important.  However, each community provides its
own content.  In order to mobilize community action, each community must
engage a broad base of citizens in developing their vision of a healthy
community, assess its strengths and needs and identify and implement
positive actions.

OHCC strongly promotes the evaluation of community projects and programs, as
well as the development of indicators of community health and well being.
To assist communities in this area, OHCC has published two guides to
evaluation and community assessments.  The first, Signs of Progress, Signs
of Caution, is a workbook that outlines a step-by-step process for assessing
the health and sustainability of your community.  The second, Pathways to a
Healthy Community: An Indicators and Evaluation Toolkit, is a collection of
19 of the most appropriate tools for use or reference by community groups.
The User's Guide also includes an annotated bibliography of other tools and
sources available, an extensive list of related websites and a list of
useful contacts.

For more information about the Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition please
refer to our website at http://www.opc.on.ca/ohcc.

Anna Jacobs
Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition
Communications Facilitator