From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:00:35 -0400
Yesterday I received the very sad news that one of my mentors, role models
and most respected and admired colleagues in the world of healthy
communities and health promotion, Sharon Martin, died suddenly on Saturday
September 11th in Vancouver.

I am copying the obituary that appeared today in the Vancouver Sun. It is
beautifully written and tells a little of the richness of Sharon's life and
her legacy for all of us.
Let us all remember the positive forces and people in our lives, and put
aside our squabbling about 'medical models' and who is right or wrong, at
least for a while.

Alison

Alison Stirling, health promotion consultant
OPC - Prevention Clearinghouse
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]  Internet: http://www.web.net/~stirling/
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It is with great sorrow that we announce that Sharon Martin (nee Doyle) died
suddenly September 11, 1999. Born July 23, 1942, she was the eldest daughter
of Elmer and Kathleen Doyle of Vancouver, B.C.
Sharon Martin was a visionary and staunch advocate for the advancement of
community development and health promotion.  From her early work as a
community health nurse in the downtown eastside to her work as Director of
Community Involvement, Vancouver Richmond Health Board, Sharon was ahead of
her time,      recognizing the importance of communities working together to
direct their health systems. She was the past President of the Public Health
Association of B.C. and active with the Canadian Public Health Association.
She was honoured twice with nominations for the YWCA Women of Distinction
Award for community and public involvement.
She is survived by her son, Christopher and daughter, Katie, who were the
centre of her life. They cherish the memory of their mother and their life
together. She will be lovingly remembered by her mother, Kathleen Mary
Doyle; sisters, Judy, Elaine, Cassie, Susan, Denise, Kerry, Maureen and
brother, John and her community of close friends and colleagues. All will
miss her engaging conversation and loving support.
A community memorial service will be held on Wednesday, September 15 at 7:00
p.m. at St. Patrick's High School Auditorium at 11th Ave. and Quebec St. The
funeral mass will be Thursday, September 16 at St. Joseph the Worker Parish,
4451 Williams Road, Richmond at 10:30 a.m. Donations may be made to the
VanCity Community Foundation, 183 Terminal Ave., Vancouver, to further
Sharon's work.

http://marketplace.canada.com/classifieds/results.asp?SK=VCS&CK=ANN8F8