From:
"Adeline R. Falk Rafael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:36:09 -0500
Dennis,I applaud your passionate critique of for-profit health care. As to
the question of why any Canadian would tolerate its discussion, I think it
is a question of just not understanding how the for-profit system affects
access and ultimately health decisions. We take for granted what we have
always had. It was not until about the 3rd year of living in the US that I
began to realize, both through my personal health experiences and working
with elderly populations with my students, how devastating and disempowering
the control of health care by the corporate sector can be.  I was employed
and had decent health insurance unlike the 40 million or so uninsured and
all those underinsured and on Medicare and Medicaid. The dismal placing of
the US as 22nd or so among industrialized nations in so far as their Infant
Mortality Rate is just one indicator. I shudder to think what the IMR of
un/underinsured populations in the US would be!

Because many Canadians have never known a time without a health system that,
at least for 'essential medical services" provides publicly administered,
universally available, comprehensive, portable, and accessible services,
they find it difficult to imagine what it would mean not to have it. I think
positions by such socially powerful groups as the Ontario Medical
Association supporting a 2-tier system contribute to the public's
misconceptions about "inefficiencies" of our system and make rhetoric about
decreasing costs and waiting lists attractive. The response by the
Registered Nurses Association of Ontario is very helpful in setting out some
of the issues. It is called The Canada Health Act: To preserve and protect
and is available from RNAO in Toronto. Also helpful is a paper by Barer,
Evans, Hertzman and Johri called "Lies, Damned Lies, and Health Care
Zombies. Discredited ideas that will not die." It provides a very useful
detailed analysis of myths that persist about health care in the face of
evidence that refutes them. The authors argue that indefensible policies and
practice persist because they serve the interests of powerful lobbies. I'm
not sure whether it is available on a web-site or not. The address given on
the paper is U of Texas, P.O. Box 20186, Houston, TX 77225. It is HPI
Discussion Paper #10 dated March, 1998.
Adeline