From:
Celeste Wincapaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:52:09 -0800
Please feel free to forward and re-post...
As many of you know, last year the federal government decided to create the
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) as a way to transform health
research funding in Canada. Right now, Allan Rock is making decisions about
how the CIHR will operate and whether it will include an institute dedicated
to women's health. Many people agree that women's health research has been
historically under-funded and under-researched; therefore I support the concept
of a Women's Health Research Institute in Canada as a once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity to further research our unique health issues as women. To me,
this also includes much-needed analysis of racism, classism, homophobia and
disability issues.

As a feminist, I am as jaded as the next person about whether my letters
really make a difference to the dominant power structure and whether they
are worth my time. But this is one of those times I think letters will make a
difference or at the very least be a raising of consciousness re: women's health.

Therefore I ask you to please take a look at the Women's Health & the CIHR webpage
http://www.cwhn.ca/cihr and do your own analysis and fax Allan Rock via a free
Internet
fax service http://www.net-efx.com/faxfeds/ (he will receive a regular fax and you
won't
incur any long distance faxing charges). No letter is too big or too small. Or if you
want to talk with someone about this, contact Amanda Kobler, mailto:[log in to unmask],
one of the
working group chairpersons, or myself.

Cheers,
Celeste

Celeste Wincapaw
Communications Coordinator
BC Centre of Excellence for Women's Health
Vancouver, British Columbia
http://www.bccewh.bc.ca
mailto:[log in to unmask]