From:
Anne Llewellyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:37:41 -0400
Ellen, I wanted to let you know that in the Catholic religion, if you say
the Perpertual Novena to theBlessed Virgin Mary, you will have a peaceful
death. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of  my mother's death. She
sufferred the last 7 years with end stage COPD. She could not walk from one
chair to the other without sever SOB. Her condtion gradually declined. When
she died she was less than 90 pounds.

If there was one thing that gave her strenght to go on, not to complain and
to "maintain her dignity", it was her faith. She said that Novena at least
twice a day.  I recall her saying it all my life. She "prayed" me home many
a night as she did for all her children.  But coping with her disease which
she did with dignity I have to credit with the faith.

After my mother passed away, I was visiting our life long neighbor and we
talked about my mothers last few days. She was in Hospice Unit of a local
hospital in order to give my sister who was caring for my mother at home a
break. It was suppose to be for respite, but this is the week she died. When
her condition changed, all of her 4 children were with her. The last 4 days
of her life, she was the most peaceful I had seen her in years. She had no
SOB, the edema she had in her legs went down. She was not responsive, so I
know they were not giving her any medication that can be credited with these
events.  For all of us who were with her, we waited for my mother to pass.
This was so diffiucult but for all of us who had seen her suffer for the
past 7 years, those 4 days were so peaceful. She was not scared, she had a
smile on her face. She got to say goodbye to all of us and tell us that she
loved us and that she was ready to go and be with my Father, her mother and
sister who had gone before her. She died on August 14, 2000 very peacefully
which is all she prayed for. She is in a better place, I feel her presence
all the time and I am really trying to make room in my life for the type of
faith that I saw in my mother.

In talking with our neighbor, she showed me in the Novena book ,that if you
pray the Novena, you will have a peaceful death. My mother was proff that
this worked. Her main wish was that she would not suffer.

If you want a copy of this, I can get it to you. No it is not "research" but
I saw it work...that is good enough for me....Thanks you and please keep us
posted on your research. It is so important. Anne Llewellyn,
RN.C,BPSHSA,CCM, CRRN,CEAC