From:
Julia Greenbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:09:42 -0500
I received a copy of the Community Report for the Community Quality of
Life Project.  As a resident of Riverdale I found it quite interesting. It
certainly raises some important issues that residents of the area face
and depicts at least some of the residents in an accurate light.

I did however find the depiction of Riverdale as a community suffering
from poverty, crime and pollution as a little overstated.  I realize that there
are poorer areas of Riverdale, however, much of the community is far
from poor.  Houses are selling for over $400,000 and Playter Estates,
where houses are worth even more than that, is also part of Riverdale.  I
felt that the report represented South Riverdale, but had little to do with
North and Prime Riverdale.  It would be like writing a report about the
Annex and only referring to some of the poorer parts -- south west
Annex and not Yorkville.

While I do appreciate the spirit of the research, I feel that an honest
"Health Promotion Approach to Understanding Communities" must reflect
the entire community, or at least be clear about the boundaries of
community it is studying.

Julia Greenbaum
Addictions and Mental Health Services Corporation
Addiction Research Foundation Division

Resident of Riverdale

>>> Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]> 03/11/98 05:10pm >>>
The Conclusions Report for the Riverdale [Toronto] Community Quality of
Life
Project can be downloaded for free from the following site:

http://www.healthycommunities.org

Once there, go to the "Library" and do a search on "Quality of Life".  You
will then
receive information on downloading this 18 page report in ascii format.

  The cabinet minister lies in his bath.  With one hand he tries
  To force the wooden brush below the glassy surface.
  This childish play hides a serious core.
       -Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Acting Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101