From:
Ronald Labonte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 15:21:24 -0500
Greetings to all CLICK4HP subscribers, and best wishes for the New Year.

Some time ago I posted some information about efforts to organize a health
voice on global trade and investment policy.  One potential policy option
is that of implementing a Financial Transaction Tax, or Tobin Tax, on
speculative investment.  The Happy New Year's news is that the Canadian
House of Commons will be debating a private member's bill to do just that,
in February 1999!

I include below an e-mail I received from the "Halifax Initiative," an NGO
working on such policy initiatives as a Tobin Tax.  It explains the context
of the private member's bill.  It is followed by a "Citizen's Declaration
on the Tobin Tax," which the Halifax Initiative is urging people to sign
and return to them.  (I will be signing it.)  I also include a copy of a
letter I will be sending to the Prime Minister, Finance Minister, Health
Minister, my local MP and relevant opposition party members.

I wish to encourage all Canadian list-serve members to do likewise.

This is one of the most encouraging developments, on the global policy
front, to come along in a long time!  If we can "win" this one, we have a
much better chance of ensuring that our globalizing economy works to the
long term human, social and health interests of all, and not just the
short-term financial interests of a few.

Happy holidays!

THE E-MAIL FROM THE HALIFAX INITIATIVE: