Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:37:10 +0530
-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Pat <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, September 14, 1999 11:08 AM

>Reply at end of post:
>
>> It is common knowledge that most of the health affections that occur
>> are psychosomatic and their origin lies in our wrong mental
>> attitude.Continuosly disturbed emotional states result in development
>> of disease.What medicines achieve is not permanent but temporary
>> relief.To attain permanent good health we must develop a correct
>> mental attitude suggest you should know about Bach Flower remedies a
>> healing art for the common man by which he can eradicate illness
>> himselves.I have had excellent results with these remedies
>> regards
>> sanjay
>>

>Dear sanjay,
>
>I found your post quite provocative. I am curious. Based on your comment
>that most of the health affections that occur are psychosomatic and that
>their origin lies in our wrong mental attitude, I would like to
>challenge your thinking, if I may, with a few questions.
>
>What is the wrong mental attitude held by an infant born with AIDS?
>What is the wrong mental attitude of populations of people in the third
>world [western or eastern culture] who are born into poverty?
>What is the wrong mental attitude of the person afflicted with
>schizophrenia?
>What is the wrong mental attitude held by someone affected with breast
>cancer or prostrate cancer?
>
>sanjay, while I do agree that our mental attitudes influence our health,
>I would not go as far as to say that the 'origin' of disease exists in
>our minds. Individual change is over-emphasized in health care and thus,
>under-emphasizing the benefits of social change. I understand that
>Health promotion is much more than placing all the responsibility for
>change on the individual when they may be under social pressures that do
>not allow them to make changes. For example, a post-war society is left
>with all sorts of ramifications. Dare any of us say that the health
>problems of the population are psychosomatic when there are leftover
>landmines killing children or a short life expectancy due to the
>stresses of a broken social network; poor drinking water if any, lack of
>food, employment and broken families.
>
>I think that there is a much broader picture that needs to be considered
>when determining health.
>
>Sincerely,
>Mary Pat Dressler
>Dept. of Community Health and Epidemiology
>University of Saskatchewan
>Saskatoon, SK.
>Dear Mary
Thanks for your views.I believe that we must go into the basics.Who is an
healthy person?When he is not healthy?How do you define health?I believe
modern medicine should be able to answer this in very simple language which
I am not aware.I feel that when a person is not  in tune with his own self
he can be called sick.We must talk about sick people and not sicknesses.All
you mentioned are about sicknesses and not sick persons.  Being poor does
not mean being sick,Sick are those who exploit and make other people poor
even if they are pathologically healthy.Regarding post war situations in
modern medicine there is no cure to get over shockful situations.Flower
remedies would certainly help those who would pass through this trauma.I
agree with you that a social change is required. Absolutely correct but if a
help is available due to God's grace for our personality improvement why
depend on others?
regards
sanjay