From:
Brian Hyndman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:09:50 -0400
I agree with the thrust of Dennis's arguments. What disturbs and
challenges me, however, is that the same charges could also be leveled
against the field of health promotion.

Are Canadians better off than they were before the Ottawa Charter was
created in 1986? Are the levels of child poverty higher or lower?  Is
there a greater degree of homelessness? Are working conditions better or
worse? Do people feel more empowered to take charge over the conditions
affecting their health or less empowered? Is our air quality better or
worse? Has our level of social and community cohesion increased or
decreased?

Like Dennis, I am concerned about the implications of the population
health approach. But, unlike some critics of the approach, I do not hold
the advocates of population health responsible for the preponderance of
'unhealthy public policies' over the past decade. With the arguable
exception of Fraser Mustard's work on child development, our political
masters have largely ignored the blueprints for a healthier society
emanating from population health and health promotion camps.

If health promotion is to emerge as a credible alternative to population
health it needs to demonstrate real accountability to some of the
questions I note above. As a starting point, health promotion needs to
acknowledge its own limitations ( esp. the failure to walk its own
talk), and develop a credible approach to addressing the barriers to the
achievement of 'health for all'. Until this happens I don't think that
health promotion advocates are in a position to throw stones until they
get their own glass house in order.

--
Brian Hyndman
The Health Communication Unit