From:
theresa schumilas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 17:13:03 -0500
I've been musing over the issue of tobacco advocacy, and re-reading some
postings in this respect.  Up until 2 months ago, within my health
department, I managed (among other things) the tobacco portfolio (portfolio
being a word I haven't used much - but its kind of business sounding don't
you think?  I'm working on  a new image.)

Anyway - the thing I'd like to discuss is - when my position changed and I
no longer had the lead responsibility for tobacco issues - I felt a huge
sense of joy - not because of the new health areas I was "given", but
because I didn't have to "do" tobacco anymore.  I shared this point of view
a bit with co-workers - and others, who were shifted out of tobacco
programming, and they felt the same thing.  I think that, within the tobacco
portfolio there is a certain culture - a kind of "life at the barricades"
approach - that isn't much fun.   More and more I am finding that health
issues seem to carry a certain culture with them - almost regardless of the
people involved.

The reason I raise it here, is that there has been a general theme - at
least within bureaucratic circles - these days  - that employed health
professionals are being restricted from "speaking out" on how certain
political and social issues affect health (eg. "workfare" in Ontario,
unemployment policies (no thats not a typo),  lack of cultural
sensitivity...)  To an extent its true - I work within a governmental
structure and there are clear policies relating to the boundaries on my
political actions - and indeed the boundaries on what I can contribute here.
But I have always felt that I am more or less free to voice my opinion on
such matters - as long as I clarify that it is  MY opinion.  But tobacco
issues always felt different to me.   I have never felt that, as a public
health practitioner,  I am allowed a personal opinion on tobacco control.
It really does feel like a religion (as suggested in other postings.)  I
would say that I am more free (in terms of risk of formal reprimand and/or
professional shunning) to stand in a public meeting, state my name and
affiliation and speak against paying down the deficit and debt than to say I
thought that our society had a sufficient level of tobacco control
legislation.  (Thats not my point of view, of course.... just speaking
hypothetically..... I really don't have an opinion at all..... )

Seriously - my question to you all is:  are there health promotion issues
where you feel that you are not free to "speak out"?  What exactly is the
risk?  What methods of control are at play here?  (I'd especially like to
hear from non-Canadians on the matter.)

Peace, Force and JOY,

Theresa Schumilas
Director