Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:38:48 -0800
Salut. I thank our Quebec counterparts for their input on the Tobacco
Act. I apologize if I was a bit opinionated re: the Bloc, and I have to
admit not living in Quebec I am quite ignorant as to the real political
climate - Ontarians pretty much only know what is reported in the media,
which I have learned is sometimes a dangerous thing. At any rate, I
would like to respond to Msr. O'Neill's query about the Australian model
of sponsorship. Agencies like our own have advocated for this model for
a while now, but it is heard on deaf ears. I have heard the basic
problem is this : Finance Minister Martin will NOT relinquish control on
tobacco taxes for anything, including prevention (The TDRS was
drastically cut back). If he gave up control on that area, it would be a
sign of weakness. He apparently has been regaining more and more control
on finances in every area since being elected back in. Health Canada is
at his beck and call now. This is a very unfortunate scenario.

I have to echo the sentiments that the Bill will be killed. I have been
deeply immersed in this fight since the beginning but feel it is now
hopeless. It seems more and more that we are going back to the dark ages
of public health - Premier Harris is poised to bring Public Health back
to immunization and communicable disease shortly. Meanwhile, lung cancer
rates with women continue to skyrocket and more youth take up smoking
every day.

Again to Micheal O'Neill - don't believe the economic rhetoric re:
sponsorships. Restricting them WILL NOT throw us into economic
catastrophe - before 1988 sponsorship did not exist from tobacco
companies. The industry has been very savvy getting groups to
co-dependon them for survival. These groups should be ashamed of
themselves for helping the industry market to kids. I recently heard an
ad for ballet in Toronto sponsored by Du Maurier, where no doubt a lot
of young aspiring ballerinas would attend. If these events make so much
money, them surely another sponsor will step in. Dingwall has challenged
the cash-rich Banks to pick up the slack (one of the big banks made 400
million in the first quarter of this year). I would like to see more
integrity from sport and cultural groups - I think back to when Steve
Podborski refused to ski in the Canadian championships because of a
tobacco affiliation.

The correct question then is what else can we do? I have personally
mobilized many people to phone the PM and have written endless letters.

Thanks for your time

Alan McFarlane
Tobacco Use Prevention Promoter
Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Public Health Department

** the views expressed of the author do not necessarily reflect those of
the HWRPHD