From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:08:50 -0500
The Canadian Health Minister appeared before the Canadian Senate Yesterday
and faced questions which clearly indicated that the Senate is going to
drag its feet as much as it can on this one. One Conservative (PC) Senator
from Quebec aske Dingwall to 'prove' that Tobacco advertising would cause
his own teen age son to start smoking.

If the Canadian's in favour of the anti-Tobacco bill do not bring an
education and political will campaign to play on the Senate immediately it
looks like the the Senate will be able to let the proposed legislation
'rot' in limbo and - in the next sitting of Parliament - the Tobacco Bill
will have to start all over again - from ZERO.

The irony in this is that this morning in the US the Wall Street Journal
and CBC news are saying that Ligget (Camel cigarettes) will be tabling
statements in civil in Tobcco industry civil suits in which - for the
first time - the Tobacco industry will admit that Tobacco is addictive.

Just as the U.S. makes one small step forward it would be sad if Canadians
made a giant step backward.

Does anyone on this list have any evidence that there is a concerted
campaign to inform Senate of the 'facts' and impress upon them the will of
the Canadian people. Sitting in Ottawa I see nothing from here.

Sam Lanfranco

 /  Sam Lanfranco, Distributed Knowledge Project, c/o CERLAC 240 YL, \
| York University, 4700 Keele Street, North York, ONT, CANADA M3J 1P3 |
|   FAX (416) 736-5737 - Ph (416) 736-5237 - Pag/Cell (416) 816-2852  |
| Bellanet/IDRC/Ottawa: Ph (613) 236-6163, ext 2263  Fax (613) 238-7230 |
|  <[log in to unmask]>  =  <[log in to unmask]>  =  <[log in to unmask]>  |
| YorkWeb-> www.yorku.ca/research/dkproj / BellaWeb->  www.bellanet.org |