From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 18:51:31 -0500
The Chief Medical Officer has released proposed draft
mandatory guidelines for Ontario.  I was told that public
health was to be reduced to infectious and non-infectious
diseases.  I have obtained a copy.

IT'S WORSE THAN I EXPECTED!! PUBLIC HEALTH IS NOW REDUCED TO
THE FOLLOWING:

TOBACCO, EATING, ACTIVITY, CANCER SCREENING, REPRODUCTIVE
HEALTH, SEXUAL HEALTH, CHILD HEALTH (LIMITED TO
DEVELOPMENTAL MILESTONES, DENTAL HEALTH AND BREASTFEEDING,
AND THE USUAL INFECTIOUS DISEASE STUFF (RABIES, TB, STD,
ETC.)

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE OTTAWA CHARTER?  WHATEVER HAPPENED
TO PUBLIC HEALTH?

IT'S NOT BACK TO THE 1960'S, ITS BACK TO THE 1600'S.

Contact your local public health contact for a copy.  Don't
read before you go to bed.  It's scary reading.

***********************************
That which is sure is not sure.
As things are, they shall not remain.
         -Bertolt Brecht