From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:47:13 -0500
It was said that:

> I wouldn't be so quick to judge these new guidelines and how they have
> come about to date. MANY people have worked extremely hard on this
> document, including input from major stakeholders ie. Ontario
> Association of Public Health Nutritionists, Health Promotion Ontario
> (public health).. the list goes on.. While it may not be exactly what's
> in the Ottawa Charter, I believe that a lot of the central themes are
> there. If you look closely, healthy public policy is there,
> environmental supports etc.

I respond:

Any document that purports to speak of public health and does not mention the word "poverty" is worse
than worthless; it is dangerous.  Similarly, and I will have more to say about this later, any document that
thinks of workplace health as being healthy food in the cafeteria, having exercise rooms, and non-smoking
areas is also dangerous.

If we, the community and public health "experts" are not willing to speak of what we know, then why are we
being paid so much?  Now is the time to speak up, when those at Queen's Park may not like what we have
to hear.  It is easy to do so when everybody may applaud what we have to say.

Not to do so now is, more than anything,  SAD. And also not health promoting for those we are said to serve.
By the way, if you find yourself agreeing with tsome or all of these sentiments, or wish to study at a
place that at least considers them, consider applying for our MHSc program in
Health Promotion at the University of Toronto.  The next deadline is February 1, 1998.  We have both a full
time and part-time program, and, unlike others, susbscribe fully to the tenets of the Ottawa Charter and are
especially interested in the broader determinants of health, as well as issues of class, gender, race, and
ethnictiy.

Visit the physical MHSC Bulletin Board at the address below or the cyberspace one on the internet at
"http://behsci.med.utoronto.ca/behsci/promo.html"

**note the info about the MHSc NOT being offered on a part-time basis is outdated.  We now offer a
part-time degree..

We welcome experienced health promoters and those who wish to effect a career change to a broader
social science approach to health studies and health promotion. E-Mail me for more information.

 ***********************************
 That which is sure is not sure.
 As things are, they shall not remain.
        -Bertolt Brecht