From:
"NVHCC / Youth Aflame Min." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:12:36 -0500
We have been involved in mental health and suicide issues for a few years
now. We have found that one of the biggest myths is that by talking directly
about suicide that this will increase the number of suicides. Being open
about the subject gives people the freedom to seek help and makes them aware
that it is not just their issue.

I would suggest of course that you connect with the Canadian Mental Health
Association (http://www.cmha.ca/english/) and especially their links to the
Ontario branch (http://www.ontario.cmha.ca/) and the Metro Toronto branch
(http://www.toronto.cmha.ca). There is also the Ontario Suicide Prevention
Network, the Canadian Association of Suicide Prevention
(http://www.suicideprevention.ca/) , the Suicide Education and Information
Centre (http://www.suicideinfo.ca/), the Centre for Addiction and Mental
Health (http://www.camh.net/) , and of course many more that you can follow
the links to.

There is a Suicide Awareness Conference - Building on What We Know that I
would highly recommend attending in Orillia on April 9, 2003. The Agenda is
as follows ...

9:15 to 10:30 Keynote Address - Acting on What We Know  - Preventing First
Nations Youth Suicide by Dr. Cornelia Wieman

10:50 to 12:00 Workshops - A. Quiet Desperation - The truth about men and
suicide  B. Suicidal behaviours in Youth   C. Assessing Geriatric
Suicidality   D. Seeing the Light - A personal touch

1:15 to 2:30 Workshops - E. Suicide prevention for Aboriginal communities
F. Dimensions in Perfectionisms and suicide in adolescents and adults  G.
suicide prevention protocol for school staff  H. supporting children -
survivors of suicide

2:40 to 2:50 Save-A-Heart program presentation

2:50 to 3:20 Closing ceremony - Ms. Sherry Lawson - former Justice of the
Peace

Cost is only $ 40 and includes a buffet lunch. For more info contact Ms. Pat
Cadeau at (705) 526-0567.

You may also be interested in the following sites ...

http://www.lovingoutreach.org/
http://www.nami.org/
http://www.gov.on.ca/health/english/program/mental_health/mentalhealth/menta
limplement_mn.html
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/childhood-youth/cyfh/child_and_youth/mental_heal
th/
http://www.sparrowlake.org/

http://www.health.gov.au/hsdd/mentalhe/resources/mindmatters/
http://www.suicidology.org/
http://www.yspp.org/
http://www.save.org/
http://www.withonevoice.org/
http://www.mentalhealth.org/suicideprevention/strategy.htm

We set up information centres in community locations and at the local high
school using the CMHA pamphlets and those from Channing-Bete. We also
trained key community leaders in Suicide Intervention skills
http://www.livingworks.net/ and taught at local schools and for the peer
mentors at the local college. We have a local Committee on Suicide Awareness
available for community education.

There is a good curriculum available from the Kingston area school board
called Friends helping Friends which was acted out by local students. We
have also used the video entitled "David's Story" in the community. There
was a play presented in Toronto a couple of years ago from B.C. - they may
be coming back http://www.dancearts.bc.ca/press.htm

Note - for community displays, we found that it was best if they were
unmanned with your volunteer / worker nearby in case there were questions
but otherwise people were nervous to approach mental health displays.

Hope this helps,

Peter

****
North Victoria Healthy Communities Coalition
Youth Aflame Ministries Inc.
4094 Monck Rd., P.O. Box 322
Coboconk, ON   K0M 1K0
(705) 454-8875