From:
Laura O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 11:09:43 -0400
Robyn,

You might want to consider checking out the following article:

Eysenbach, G. & Köhler, C. (2002).  How consumers search for appraise
health information on the world wide web?  Qualitative study using focus
groups, usability tests and in-depth interviews. British Medical Journal,
324, 573-577.

Although the topic is different from what you are investigating the
findings may be of interest from a method point of view.  Participants in
this study reported they looked for certain indicators of credibilty while
using Internet web sites.  But when they were observed using the net, they
in fact did not do this.   A classic case of saying one thing and doing
another?  Although the authors do provide some explanations of why this may
have happened I think it is a common problem, one that might be addressed
through the method.

I think if you order your research in the way you have outlined you might
be able to keep this from happening.  Do the participant observation first
and find out how the site is actually used.  Then use these findings as the
basis for your focus group questions.  This may provide you with more
accurate results.

Also there is a chapter in Vaughn et al. on conducting focus groups with
children and teens which you may find useful:

Vaughn, S., Schumm, J.S., & Sinagub, J. (1996). Focus group interviews in
education and psychology.  Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

Good luck!

Laura