From:
Theresa Schumilas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:42:21 -0400
Its been some time since I posted - but I've been stuck in a muddle and
need some fresh perspective I think.

How would you - as a HP practitioner - tell me about the difference
between healthy communities projects and quality of life projects?  Or
would you say, they are the same thing, they just arose from different
academic parenthood.

Imagine - I'm on a team working with you, and I come from a completely
different academic perspective.  What references would you refer me to?
How would you help me to clarify these concepts?

It seems to me that there is academic literature which differentiates
these concepts somewhat - but I can also come up with practice examples
of each which seem to blur the difference.    For example,  first I was
thinking that the main difference was that healthy communities projects
worked within an empowerment philosophy,  and focus on giving choice and
voice to the vulnerable.  But,  when I consider some examples (and I'd
like to hear your examples too),  its seems like both healthy
communities projects and quality of life projects  might or might not be
using empowering approaches.  I can think of very "top down" or
"bureaurcratic" examples of healthy communities projects and of quality
of life projects and vica versa.

So,  if the proof of the pudding is in the eating (versus the recipee
design) than I'm not sure I taste a difference.

Then I feel very uneasy about the lack of a difference   and  I can't
quite figure out why.  So, I'm muddled.  Your views would help I think.