From:
Nancy Dubois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:05:31 -0400
Dennis - yet another encouraging sign in the province.  I spent the morning
yesterday with the Peel Coalition against Peverty, which has strong
representation from agencies and those affected directly by the issue.
Leadership comes from the Social Planning Council and Peel Health.  They
have held community forums to assist with strategic direction setting and
are involved in a deputation to Regional council in the next few months and
a public "Vigil" involving a mass funeral procession to gain the attention
of political leaders who had promised to "eradicate child poverty" by the
year 2000.

This past week, we were working towards the policy and social changes that
need to be the focus of the collective work, while individual agencies
continue on about their programming and service delivery business.  The DOH
were tantamount to this discussion as the real need was determined to be
getting at the "root causes" rather than the "bandaids".

A ray of hope!

Nancy Dubois
Health Communication Unit