From:
Brian Hyndman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:03:50 -0400
Good to see that the Epp Report is getting some belated attention.  I guess the key
reason why it failed to catch on as a seminal policy document for health promotion
is that it was commissioned by a government that failed to "walk the talk" of its
recommended actions: it did spark an initial flurry of interest, but was pretty much
dead in the water by the time the Conservatives were tossed out of office in '93.

I was introduced to the Epp Report as a health promotion student in '89, when it was
still fairly current. I recall that the report was subjected to withering criticism
for not going far enough. In retrospect, I long for the days when a federal
government identified "reducing socioeconomic inequities" as a national health
challenge! Another key contribution of the Epp Report was its emphasis on mutual
aid, which has become a sadly neglected area in health promotion as of late.

Brian Hyndman

--
Brian Hyndman
The Health Communication Unit